Saturday, June 27, 2009

BFWD

Breastfeeding While Drunk

Jai emailed me an article about a woman arrested in North Dakota. The police were called to her home for a domestic disturbance. She was observed breastfeeding her 6 week old child and appeared drunk. Who knows what really was happening, but I wonder if the police administered a breathalyser.

When we were experiencing the weight crisis, we heard more often than not the suggestion to drink some beer or wine. I haven't had a drink in more than 2 years, before/around the time we started trying to conceive. I'm not a big drinker anyway - started back when I lived in Thailand and alcohol was very expensive - so it is not a big deal.

When you're caring for a baby and you're tired, tense, confused and overwhelmed, a drink is relaxing, can be a little something to take the edge off. Maybe this mother had one drink and it led to another. I'm not excusing her suspected behavior.

However, she was breastfeeding her baby. That is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment