Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pumping - it can be a good thing

See "Free at Last" for early days

In late January we bought the Medela Pump in Style breast pump as recommended by the first lactation consultant. Kind of wish we'd rented a hospital grade pump first to see how it went. Oh, well, live & learn. It enabled me to get some breaks and keep Julia fed ... or so I thought!

Then the weight crisis happened & I used the pump EVERY DAY 6 times a day. Not so much a fan of the breast pump now.

However, it is very helpful to make sure you drain the breast and make more milk, especially needed to supplement the few weeks in February. It was nice to take a break in early March once Julia gained consistently.

Wish I could use it more for opportunities to be away from Julia (I love her, but I need a break sometimes) ... however, it is a double-edged sword. It gives milk to whomever is watching her so she's happy and the adult is happy (hopefully), but unless I have the pump with me, my window of freedom is short (2-3 hours max) as the breasts become full and engorged and uncomfortable. Just writing the word "engorged" seems uncomfortable.

Now I'm creating a stash as I prepare to return to work in a month - try to pump once or twice in the morning when the breasts usually have more milk. I've decided to go back, especially as it is for 4 weeks, it is the end of school year, hopefully a less stressful time. Thankfully my FMLA ends after TCAP testing is finished - YEAH! It has been a long time since I didn't have to deal with TCAP.

Hopefully though once I'm at work, I'll be able to produce enough milk to keep her fed the next day. We will see ...

3 comments:

  1. "Engorged" - blech! Sometimes when I'd get that way, I'd have to "dispel" some into the sink before Olivia would be able to latch on. Once, when we were visiting friends, Olivia went on an eating strike. Of course I didn't have my pump. I recommend taking the pump with you on even mini-vacations.... PAINFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far we haven't seen eating strikes although she is so distracted and sleepy sometimes that it seems like a strike...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After so much of efforts you need to take full rest. Take a good sleep with these comforters. Use these steps and get best comforter for you to sleep and feel cozy in your comforter

    ReplyDelete