Monday, February 4, 2013

More words & other amazing stuff from Julia!

Literally the words never end - Julia added 3 more for me to highlight on the Sight Word list today. The list is 220 words - 11 lists with 20 words on each list.  Students need to know 40 words at end of K and 220 words at beginning of 2nd grade. It includes 11 color words & 10 number words which Julia knows. These words are some of the most common words as children start to read sentences, phrases & books.

The list doesn't include 13 words she also knows:
apple, baby, mommy, daddy, dog, cat, pig, cow, book, moon, king, library, bus

In addition to some proper nouns for real & fictional people:
God, Jesus, Dora, Boots
Julia's first & last names
first & last names of Tara, Jai, Jacqueline, Bonnie, Susie
our home address, city, and phone number

Reading Strategy
She has this really interesting technique. She thinks of a familiar phrase or book title she's seen before  - like "llama llama mad AT mama." Then she says "at" & keeps reading. I told a co-worker about this technique. She said that teachers try to encourage students to use this strategy, but it's hard to teach. She was amazed, especially as we didn't teach her this skill, she told me about it!

"Call the Midwife"
Julia & I are in my car, driving somewhere, in a quiet contemplative space; I decide to turn on my audio book. Listening to books to & from work is the only way I really read these days.  It is barely on before Julia says "that's Call the Midwife ... "yes" I say in surprise ... "how do you know that?" ... Julia says "it's the woman's voice from the TV show."

... like duh, mom! Uhh, really, she recognized the narrator's voice which isn't even the same voice of narrator on the TV show. It's probably the British accent, but she didn't say "Downton Abbey," another program she knows I watch & she has seen before. I told my co-worker this story too & she said "wow she knows the word "midwife." That's not so shocking since we worked with midwives with both pregnancies. Julia heard us talk about them & she went to some appointments & met a few of thewidwives.

However, we think Julia must have a photographic memory or very close to it. She remembers EVERYTHING - words, directions, tiny details we don't even realize she's heard or noticed. Julia's truly an amazing young person; she's so smart! It seems like we're in for a fast ride & Jai & I hope we can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment