Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Rushing ...

I feel like this is the title of my life. I'm always trying to get so much done in what feels like the smallest amount of time. Rushing here, rushing there, on a constant treadmill through my life. I also rush other people, especially Jai who seems super slow sometimes & Julia too despite other posts about her constant movement. Even drivers on the road sometimes are slow - well, some are!

It's not that they (Jai & Julia) are that slow, it's that I cannot realistically get everything I want done in the time allowed, especially not with a small baby, also a breastfed baby. Factoring in the time to feed her before, after or during an activity is really annoying sometimes and means things don't get done. Frustrating!

Example:
Yesterday I slept "late" meaning I didn't get up after Jacqueline's typical 5am feeding & do my alone time routine (pump/email or blog posts, laundry, exercise, shower) before everyone else wakes. We ALL slept in MY bed until 8am. OMG! Yes, that is late in our house. I really do not remember how many times Jacqueline ate; I was so tired! At some point Julia came into our room; not finding any room in the middle of bed or on the side by Jai she sleeps perpendicularly at the foot board.

Last night I told Jai I wanted to be ready to leave for that day's activity at 9am. Usually I set the time about an hour before we need to be at destination. No way it's going to happen now! Instead of jumping in shower & focusing on essential tasks, I put a load of laundry in washer. They're all still upstairs doing I don't know what. Now I realize I won't be able to shower with washer on (weirdness) so I start to vacuum as the dog hair is SO annoying right now, well really always! Family downstairs now, Jai starts breakfast. I get clothes from washer to hang outside & put ANOTHER load in washer.  I leave basket with wet clean clothes (to hang on clothes line outside) on bench by back door. I figure I'll get to them later.

Finally I decide to jump in shower - it's past 9am now. I hear Jacqueline crying as I'm dressing & I cannot remember how long it's been since I fed her. I hurry to get her & remind Jai that we need to leave in 30 minutes max & he still needs to shower. I'm also hungry so this is making me extra irritable of course. While feeding Jacqueline, I brush Julia's hair & help her put some lotion on her arms & legs. Jai brings me bacon & heads upstairs to shower. As 9:45am approaches I decide I'm not going - I say aloud "I need to feed myself, feed Jacqueline, hang laundry, put other laundry in dryer."  Jai has showered & dressed already & come downstairs really quickly - he's amazingly fast at this task. Julia walks to kitchen to tell him that "Mommy isn't going with us to the movie."  "What? Why?" I hear him ask. Her reply - "She has things she wants to get done."

Post is too long - to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. How is having two kids different than you imagined?

    ReplyDelete