Friday, November 4, 2011

Self-determination

Three year olds are obviously short versions of the adults they will become.

Julia has expressed herself really well since she was much smaller but today she took it one step further. She said she was hungry (mid-morning snack) and I was apparantly taking too long so without announcement or warning she runs off. About 20 secs later she reappears and says in a very matter-of-fact, matter-of-course way, "Dad, I was in the pantry." "I want rice cake and almond butter." Then she sat back down and continued what she was doing.

It's all very normal, but it's quite amazing to watch up close.

Addition from Tara on 11-5-11:
Today Julia did the same thing with the juice. She took it from the fridge & came back to tell me it was on the counter, again after she'd already asked for it & waited patiently for me to respond & I was taking too long.
She's resourceful & communicative! Kind of like someone else I know! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment