Thursday, March 4, 2010

Velcro Baby

This is Julia's newest title/nickname. I don't know what happened, but suddenly this is what Julia becomes when we leave her! Usually it happens at the church nursery, occasionally at the Y nursery. Everyone reassures us that it is normal, part of typical development, but it is heart-wrenching to walk away from your wailing child after you've peeled her off your leg/lap/whatever she can grab!

Initially I was surprised and didn't connect her behavior with separation anxiety - I thought it had happened already and she seemed to do OK. I didn't realize it happens later, too. When we return to pick her up, the nursery workers tell us that she only cried for a few minutes thankfully. I think I felt bad longer! : ) Also, sometimes she'd cry when we returned like she had forgotten while she played, but then she remembers we were gone and really missed us.

Of course she misses us ... but it's so interesting to think what is going on for her. Just like when she was an infant, crying still is a major way to communicate. Julia seems to "talk" ALL THE TIME and I forget that she really cannot tell us many of her feelings as readily as I think she should.

Ahh, the wish for words ... yet other parents tell us we'll wish for the silent/non-verbal days! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment