Thursday, March 8, 2012

Beyonce in the news again!

It's been 2 months since B had her baby girl, days before Jacqueline was born. This time the headline was about Beyonce breastfeeding in public. http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/05/how-beyonces-public-breast-feeding-changes-the-nursing-in-public-debate/

So interesting how this is a big deal. It is! Beyonce is a HUGE celebrity as well as as woman of color. NIP is such a hot button subject for debate. Should you do it? Should you cover yourself? The funny thing about it is that I have seen no pictures of Beyonce feeding the baby, but even if there weren't, it is still awesome that it's gotten people talking about it. It doesn't matter to me, I'll breastfeed in public no problem. However, some people are more shy or concerned about possible confrontation.

The law states that you can feed your baby any public location you are allowed to be. Private locations like someone's home are different, but I feel like if you're at someone's house & they give you grief about feeding your baby, then you need to leave anyway, you're not really welcome there. However, if I'm at at a restaurant, the park, my daughter's school, I can feed my baby where I am, not asked to leave or go to the bathroom. That gets me, with pumping at work, too, when people suggest the bathroom. Do YOU eat in the bathroom? No, so why should my child have to eat there?

I don't try to call attention to myself, but I also do not want to hide myself because you might possibly see part of my body & realize a baby is at my breast. There is also the possibility that you will skip a feeding because you cannot find a private space. That is not good for your baby or your milk supply. This could lead to possibly not being able to breastfeed your baby as long as you want or is recommended by AAP or WHO (at least 1 year).  This happens & it's a public health & economic issue when children are fed formula instead of breastmilk.

Then there's the person of color factor. That's huge! Not just about NIP, but as an example of breastfeeding. We all need to see people who look like us, saying it is possible, showing that it's OK to feed your baby this way, most definitely in the black community. Our numbers are low, really low, for initiation definitely, but even after that for continuing for 6 months, much less for 1 year. So many people, black, white, other, are amazed that I breastfed Julia for a year +. We all need support, encouragement, role models, but especially in the African-American community.

Thanks, Beyonce, for being a celebrity role model. Thanks, Jessie, who is a white friend, for sending me the article. Inspiration comes in all forms! : )





No comments:

Post a Comment