Thursday, January 14, 2010

Julia's Food Manifesto

I, Julia, do hereby promise to follow the set of guidelines listed below as they pertain to my food and my eating habits. Obviously, I don't have a lot of control over this for a while to come but still I believe this needs to be said.
  1. eat as local as possible as often as possible (farmer's market, CSA, garden)
  2. eat organic as often as possible (some farms are organic and sustainable without being certified by USDA, all I have to is ask how they deal with bugs and weeds)
  3. eat independent as often as possible (although I can make a statement by buying from larger companies, I think we should support your local restaurants, grocers and other merchants instead of the huge global companies)
  4. avoid any foods processed more than standard kitchen cooking methods (I don't think I will be a raw food person so I will always eat food that has been processed to some degree but I don't want to buy stuff that's been cooked in some giant tubed warehouse, frozen, re-hydrated and whatever else they do to food in those giant processing plants)
  5. read labels on the food I buy in order to ensure I am avoiding dangerous ingredients (if I don't know what it is I will find out before I buy)
  6. read labels on the food I buy in order to ensure I am buying products produced as close to me as possible (there can be two similar items on the shelf, I can see that one came from Canada, China or some other foriegn land and one came from the US, I will choose the one that came from the US)
  7. share what I know with as many people as I can (I will talk about the food I eat, I will write about the places I eat, etc)
There will be exceptions to these rules as I grow older - as a well rounded individual I know I will have to try foods that fall outside of these perimeters - but I will always be mindful of where my food comes from and how it was grown, manufactured or cooked. I want to live a long and healthy life and I want to do my part in making the world around me better and these guidelines are simple things I can do which I believe will have a positive impact.

Please join me in living healthy and eating in a sustainable, nutritious way.

No comments:

Post a Comment